Saturday, June 8, 2013

A pet peeve concerning a website title.

It's been a long time since I've posted on this site.  It's hard to motivate yourself when you have no readers, you know:P

Well, I have a pet peeve, if you will.  Something that has driven me over the edge so much, that I just have to talk about it someplace.  I realize that most people don't care (such is the nature of pet peeves), and that's why I've chosen to rant at the internet about this.

My peeve?  songmeanings.com

Whenever I want to find a discussion on a piece of music, I go to google and search for the meaning of X song.  To give you an example, I wanted to find some opinions on the meaning of the Dream Theater song, "Ministry of Lost Souls", a very poetic ballad about love and sacrifice, but very thick.  I was hoping to see if someone had decoded it.  Always at the top of every list is SongMeanings.com.  I see the page title, "Ministry of Lost Souls song meaning" and I click on it, excited to read a thoughtful piece on the story of the song.

And what do I get?

The lyrics.

That's it.  Just they lyrics. I want to shoot the person who registered that domain name.  The website contains only the content of the song, which is the opposite of what I was looking for.  There is a huge HUGE difference between content and meaning, and one that anyone with half an understanding of the English language should understand.  This irritates me to no end.

I thought, certainly, there must be some outrage on the internet over the name of this website.  I looked on their forums, and found nothing, which didn't surprise me, since someone who regularly uses such a site must not notice this blatant misnomer.

But I couldn't find any.  I searched for things like "song meanings misnamed website" "song meanings bad name" "song meanings stupid website" with various Boolean syntax combinations and turned up nothing. and I frankly can't believe that there isn't anyone who has noticed this before.

By the way, if you're actually reading this, leave a comment so that I know there are readers out there and I'll keep writing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this!

    Maybe the intention of the site was originally to get the meanings for songs, but they got lazy and just decided to get the lyrics instead because that takes significantly less effort but brings in significantly more hits. I don't know if you can look at the oldest posts from the site, but that's my best guess as to why that happened. That or songlyrics.com was taken when it was created and they just chose an inappropriate name for their site's content.

    ReplyDelete